Cold and flu season is upon us, and we can fight it in a variety of ways. For most people, they are going to get a flu shot at their doctor’s office. However, some of us are going to neglect to get it done, and we are going to look for ways to at least combat the symptoms. Here are some common herbs that will help out in a big way if the cold and flu bug happens to hit you.
- Lemon Balm – This great tasting herb has known anti viral properties, and is usually just the thing for the typically cranky sick folks. It tends to go very well with chamomile as well.
- Sage – Commonly known as a holiday herb, it is great for easing the sorest of throats and the roughest of coughs. Just a word of caution: breastfeeding mothers should avoid this herb because it tends to dry up milk.
- Mullein – This wonderful herb is great for lung congestion when used as a tea. One thing to keep in mind, though, is that it should be used with other herbs because of it’s highly bitter taste.
- Echinacea – This herb has an immune system boosting property to it. It helps defend against strep and staph infections.
- Garlic – It is wonderful for fighting all manner of chest infections. It is known for fighting infection, reducing mucous and combating cold and flu. It works by discouraging the growth of bacteria and viruses.
These are just a few of the herbs you can choose from in order to help ease the suffering that goes with colds and the flu. The important thing is to remember is that you are not going to feel any better if you do nothing. So, get out there, and get yourself some herbs. You will be able to experience the healing power of nature.